QQQ W W EEEEE RRRR TTTTT Y Y Q Q W W E R R T Y Y Q Q W W E R R T Y Y Q Q W W W EEEE RRRR T Y Y Q Q Q W W W E R R T Y Q Q W W W E R R T Y QQ Q W W EEEEE R R T Y Description: QWERTY is a text editor for the TI 83 or TI 83-Plus. The text files created can be sent to a computer and opened as plain text. Also, plain text from a computer can be sent to the calculator. Unlike most text editors for calculator, QWERTY, by flipping the calculator sideways allows one to type using a key configuration similar to a regular keyboard. Features: •Capable of typing all 26 letters, upper and lower case, numbers, space, return and 26 symbols. •Layout similar to a regular keyboard. •Text displayed sideways •Power friendly, runs in low power mode and automatically powers down after a set time. •Text can be copied from the computer to the calculator and vice versa. Requirements: •A TI 83 or TI 83-Plus Calculator •The Ion shell for the TI 83 version. You can download this at http://www.ticalc.org •A graph link or equivalent, for sending the program to your calculator. Installation: 1. If you are using a TI 83, using the software that came with the Graph Link, send Ion to your calculator and install it. For more detailed instructions on installing Ion, refer to Ion.txt which is part of the Ion zip file. 2. Send either the "QWERTY.83p" file if you are using a TI 83 or the "QWERTY.8xp" file if you are using a TI 83-Plus to your calculator. If you are using a TI 83-Plus and you want the application version, send "QWERTY.8xk" instead to your calculator. Getting Started: Run the program. If you have download the version for the TI 83 first install the ion shell, run it, then run QWERTY through Ion. For more information about Ion, read the help file that came with Ion. On the TI 83-Plus non application version, the program can be run either through a shell, such as Ion, or Mirage, or by typing "asm(QWERTY" on the home screen ("asm(" can be found in the catalog). For the application version on the TI 83-Plus run the application from the application menu. Upon running the program a menu will appear with the options, "New" and "Open". To open a text file, select it from the list and hit enter. Since this is your first time running the program, there will be no text files to open, so select new by hitting the right arrow and hit enter. The program will now prompt you for a name. Type in the name using the letters that appear above the keys. Next hit enter to create the text file. Using the Program: After creating or opening a text file, turn the calculator 90 degrees clockwise and begin to type. The keyboard layout is similar to that of a regular keyboard. This may seem awkward at first, but I found that after I got used to it, I could reach 30 words per minute. To type in capital letters hold down the "TRACE" key, which acts as a shift key. To move the cursor around hold down the "GRAPH" key, which acts as a control key and use the arrows. To delete use the "Y=" key. To add a return, use the "ZOOM" key. To shut the calculator off, hit the "ON" key. To quit, hold down "GRAPH" and hit the "MODE" key. When you quit, the text file is automatically saved. A table of what each key does is listed below. The first table shows what the keys do when no special keys are held down. The second shows what happens when the "TRACE" key is held down and the third shows what happens when the "GRAPH" key is held down. Normal Shift Control +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ |DEL| p |RET|SHF|CTL| |DEL| P |RET|SHF|CTL| |DEL| |RET|SHF|CTL| +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ | { | o | l | . | ; | | } | O | L | > | ? | | |EXT| |LFT|UP | +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ | ) | i | k | , | , | | ] | I | K | < | : | | | | |DWN|RGT| +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ | ( | u | j | m |SPC| | [ | U | J | M |SPC| | | 9 | 6 | 3 | | +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ | = | y | h | n |SPC| | + | Y | H | N |SPC| | | 8 | 5 | 2 | | +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ | - | t | g | b |SPC| | * | T | G | B |SPC| | | 7 | 4 | 1 | 0 | +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ | % | r | f | v |SPC| | ^ | R | F | V |SPC| | | | | | | +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ | & | e | d | c |SPC| | # | E | D | C |SPC| | | | | | | +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ | ! | w | s | x | | | $ | W | S | X | | | | | | | | +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ |OFF| q | a | z | ' | |OFF| Q | A | Z | " | |OFF| | | | | +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ +---+---+---+---+---+ Transferring between Calculator and Computer: Using the software that came with your Graph Link, send the desired text file, which is saved as a program to your computer. Next drag and drop the file on "CaltoTxt.exe" which is included in this zip file. You can now open the new file created, with a text editor. To send a text file to the calculator, save the file as a plain text file. Then drag and drop that file on "TxttoCal.exe". Next send the file created to your calculator. "CaltoTxt" and "TxttoCal" can also be run from the command line. Their usage is "TxttoCal source (destination) (name)" and "CaltoTxt source (destination)". Note: when converting from a text file to a calculator file, the file is saved as a .83p file which can be sent to either a TI 83 or TI 83-Plus. Bug Reports, Questions or Comments? If you would like to report a bug or have a question or comment about QWERTY, please email me at ehgid@hotmail.com. Please be very descriptive in a bug report so that I can identify the problem and fix it. Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage that QWERTY may cause to your calculator or computer. I have tested the program extensively so there should not be any bugs but in the event of a bug, I am not responsible. You should always back up your calculator before running assembly programs. Feel free to distribute QWERTY as long as you keep all the files in this folder intact. Don’t get the wrong impression, I am not a stingy capitalist (this program is free) but just in case your calculator blows up and Russia declares nuclear war, I can say that I am not responsible. History: Version 1.0 2/2/01 Released the first version. Acknowledgments: I would like to thank the following people for their contribution to QWERTY: -Speech Technology Incorporated for their great TASM z80 assembler. -Hannes Edfeldt for his linker. -Scott Dial for his linker. -Texas Instruments for making the calculators and releasing a key to sign Apps. -David Phillips for his source code to BintoVar, which my CaltoTxt and TxttoCal programs were heavily based on. -Rusty Wagner for his emulator, without which, debugging would have been impossible. -James Matthews for his great assembly tutorials. -Joe Wingbermuehle for making the Ion shell. -Justin Karneges for the ASCII tables in his readme file, which mine were based off of and also for the idea of extending a calculator’s functionality to things which TI never intended. -You for downloading QWERTY and taking the time to read this boring file. -All the people who encouraged me and gave me suggestions on making QWERTY. -Anybody else that I neglected to mention but helped me along the way.